12/28/2006

Taiwan earthquake

I'm surprised with the news of the earthquake striking Taiwan.

I think people lives in the Pacific-rim (including myself) takes the earthquake for granted because there are so many earthquakes. But this time, the earthquake seems to have struk several undersea fiber-optic cables. It causes the Internet communication to be disrupted. In fact, "Taiwan's internet capacity has dropped to 40%". For many people lived in the area, this disruption might be more serious than the thread of a tsunami itself. If the information cut off, there's no way to provide for a tsunami.

I've traveled around Taiwan just days ago. I love Taiwan. I hope the early recovery. And I'm afraid the earthquake influences on the oft-delayed opening of the Taiwan High Speed Rail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home